Thursday, October 11, 2007

Change the Holiday

It is October the time of year for change. Change in colors, change in seasons, change in clothing, change in temperatures. I have sorted my closets and put away the summer clothing. I have begun to clean the house for the winter. I have changed my decor to the fall colors. I am dreaming of cold winter nights with hot chocolate or hot spiced cider. The smell of pumpkin pie, homemade bread and hot soup bring back memories of comfort.

I don't like the bugs coming in or spiders on the walls. Halloween expressions throughout the stores or in the restaurants are not appealing to me. Why do people want to dress up in scary costumes of gory evil things? Why is it fun to scare children and think about goblins and ghosts? These things creep into our lives without us considering the consequences of our speaking, thinking or actions. They take away good thoughts and replace them with evil thoughts. Why do we do this to ourselves?

I understand some countries do not have the holiday of Halloween. They are probably better for it. Why not have a holiday to replace it, like "Only Good Day " where you could only do good works for the day. You could only say good things about people or the world and you would fast all negative thinking. I wonder how that holiday might be celebrated. Only the truth would be able to be said by politicians. Maybe the news would only be good news. How could we replace the idea of hiding behind masks with being open and honest with everyone we meet. It might be cause for change. Maybe the colors would change in our view. Maybe people would not feel rejected for a day at least. It could be a day of new beginnings. It could be a day where everyone sees everyone in a new light. It could be a warm and wonderful day. It could be.:)

No comments:

Caden

Caden
What about this book?

Fruit of the Vine

Fruit of the Vine
Just one branch